DM’s Log, Dungeon-date 14.04.29
While accompanying the halfling Gnarkle on an expidition to Cillamar’s Gods’ Day festival, the party encountered unexpected complications. After Gnarkle began flirting with a woman of apparently high-standing (someone he clearly knew), the two where chased by an unknown man – by the emblem on his clothes, clearly another member of the woman’s family or their staff. When the chase wound its way into an alley behind the abandoned church known locally as the Temple of Death, the trio were accosted by a cloaked figure. Gnarkle suffered minor wounds, while the unknown man was nearly killed – having been grievously wounded by acidic worms burrowing in his body. The party managed to chase off the attacker, who ducked into an open grate leading to the basement of the abandoned temple.
Thus began the party’s adventure into the Temple of Death.
- The woman and unkown man were siblings, Sophie and Dalton Ismae, the youngest daugher and eldest son of Cillamar’s most powerful and respected family. Gnarkle and Dalton were taken to the Sisters of Elyr, where they were healed – Dalton surely would have died otherwise. Sophie slipped away into the festival.
- The Temple of Death was founded under the guise of a Church of Denithae, a goddess of agriculture, but was secretly a cult of Bargul, the god of death and undead. Though the cult was discovered and rooted out, the temple has remained abandoned. (DM’s note: see also the Temple of Death wiki entry)
- Lesser encounters: a nest of ghouls with rough-hewn tunnels that lead out of the temple basement to parts unknown; the lair of a giant spider that apparently fed on giant rats.
- The cloaked figure: the party discovered an ornate wooden sarcophagus covered blood, with a pile of bodies nearby that had clearly been drained of their blood. Inside the sarcophagus was the cloaked figure – a grotesque monster masquerading as a man. It seemed to be a human body filled inside with a writhing mass of acidic worms. The beast fought viciously, but was defeated.
- Gunge and the slavers: The party also discovered a lair of sorts with a sleeping guard – Gunge. After being charmed, Gunge revealed that he was part of a group of thugs that apparently captured residents of the slums for use as slaves – though they also apparently provided captives to the “necromancer” – presumably the worm-creature. The leader of this group, Reinar, was out with the rest of the band on a raid – using a nearby entrance to sewers/tunnels beneath the town. Gunge also disclosed a process by which the group smuggled slaves out of Cillamar – putting them in coffins and carting them out through the slums.
After a brief interrogation, the party lead Gunge out of the temple, bringing with them a locked chest belonging to the slavers and the cloak previously worn by the worm-monster.